“For they that have used the office of a deacon well purchase to themselves a good degree, and great boldness in the faith which is in Christ Jesus.”
(1 Timothy 3:13)
We, the Deacons of Jerusalem Baptist Church, believe Jesus is the Head of the church. He is Lord, Savior and Shepard. We recognize our pastor as “under Shepard” called to do God’s will according to the New Covenant – Jesus Christ. We commit to assist and support this ministry in advancing the spiritual and temporal well-being of Jerusalem Baptist Church. As an extended arm of the Pastor and servant of God, we minister to the congregation as his representatives in matters that will further the growth of the individual members and the corporate body. It is our responsibility to attend to the needs of the members of the church, as related to the spiritual and temporal needs that may arise. As Deacons, we are passionate to develop a more Christ-like congregation and are committed to the standard of ministry proclaimed by the written and preached Word of God. Our goals are to be humble servants, workers in the vineyard and a living testimony and witness for Jesus.
- We the Deacons of Jerusalem Baptist Church desire to serve devotedly and guided by the scriptures (Acts 6:1-3).
- We will assist the pastor in mission and vision (Acts 6:3-4, 1 Timothy 2:7).
- We will be a shining example of Christian virtues (1 Timothy 3:8-13, Philippians 4:8)
- To be humble (1 Peter 5:6, Galatians 5:3)
- To establish a bond with people promoting openness, encouragement and trust (1Timothy 3:1-7, Galatians 5:22-25)
- Assist the pastor in implementing his vision and programs.
- Assist in carrying on the business of the church.
- Assist in the worship, baptismal and communion services.
- Make visitations to the known sick and shut-in members providing spiritual and physical support.
- Address the needs of those who request spiritual, physical and social help.
- Project a posture of humbleness, dignity and seriousness.
- Engage in church activities and promote evangelism and missionary service.
- And other duties and responsibilities as required.
The ministry meets the Monday prior to the 1st Sunday in every month. We have a joint anniversary with the Deaconess Ministry the 2nd Sunday in April of each year.